Author Topic: No Local Support  (Read 1917 times)

Offline VegaVicious7477

• The Takeover! Coming to a track near you!
No Local Support
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »
PTI....inquiring minds want to know......Why dont you local guys that live less than an hr from Jackson support Jackson Dragway? You drive to right by going to Memphis and Mississippi but then ask what happened or why isnt Jackson running. Scott Wood has upgraded the facility a bunch and the track is working. Hey, i'm just asking.  [dunno] [dunno]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:54:49 PM by VegaVicious7477 »
#TEAMVEGA

Offline thehueypilot

• TheHueyPilot(UH-1H) US Army (Retired)
Re: No Local Support
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:58:03 AM »
     I am wondering why Scott Wood is not asking these questions since he is currently running the Jackson Dragway but since you ask I can only speak for myself; a 20 year veteran bracket racer. I have a couple of reasons for not going very much this year with the first reason being the parking situation. I have always disliked tracks that have paid and assigned parking as it just adds more cost to an already expensive sport (my hobby). It also has a negative affect on the racers that hang out together as a group which makes the weekly activity less enjoyable as you can no longer park together. I have noticed a lot of the assigned parking places go unused but the cheap seats; located at the end of the track are packed. It is sad to see all the prime spots go unused and all the unassigned parking places at the end of the track are full. I also notice that if you buy a parking spot you may or may not get to park there all the time as it depends on what kind of race is taking place. I have always liked the "first come first served" motto so if you don't want to park in the dust bowl (great incentive for me) you better get there early. The parking was Scott's idea and he can run the track as he sees fit but my hard earned cash will be spent at other tracks (or I just stay home) until that changes.
     The other issue I see is the change of venue such as getting away from bracket racing. I realize that bracket racing is boring to watch by the public so the spectator crowds are very limited and he is trying to increase the spectator count by putting on more exciting races. For me personally the only live racing I was willing pay to see was the NHRA mid-south nationals other than that if I am not participating I am not going there to watch. I had always thought bracket racing had kept Jackson's gates open through the years so why change? I am not opposed to adding other racing options but if you throw out bracket racing you are limiting the local racer participation. I am probably in the minority for not chasing high dollar races as I like to stay local and I am happy with the 1k or 2k purses as long as the entry fees don't climb. I have also enjoyed seeing the past results and information of new races on Mid-South Racers if I missed that weekend but Scott continues to run his (business??) though Facebook which I am not a fan. In the end it is his track to run the way he sees is best and if I don't like how it is changing I will continue to go to other tracks. (disclaimer: the above post is only one racers opinion)

Tim
93 Mustang Coupe Best 1/8th: 6.400 @107.38, 1.38

Offline bubaker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »
I totally agree with what Tim has stated above. I, am also a bracket racer and I was at JDW EVERY WEEDEND, God sent and they were racing. I don't always get 2 the track early, I am usually late (by choice), but it's my money that I am spending so if I choose not 2 arrive until the start of the race  once again....my business....my choice!! One particular race I attended, got there right when the last time trial was taking place and what was said to me by the new owner, of course, after I had paid my entry fee struck a nerve!! Needless to say I haven't been back since! This is only one of a few incidents that I will mention, but my point is some track owners/renters need to be mindful of smart remarks made to racers/spectators who are helping to keep your track doors open. I like to travel, so no problem for me to travel to a track that is more hospitable towards their racers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:34:04 AM by bubaker »

Offline VegaVicious7477

• The Takeover! Coming to a track near you!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
Thanks guys, this is what i'm looking for. No matter if Scott as or i ask. I said inquiring minds want to know. As a local racer who lives 5 mins down the road, we all are wondering where are the other locals. Yes, we travel to big bucks guaranteed races but theres nothing like racing at your back door. As for the parking, i understand your view. All i can say is park in a spot and hope that person is not showing up, which has been the case here lately. What remark was made to you bubaker, if i may ask?
#TEAMVEGA

Wheelie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
I'm not a local racer......But I think there has been a HUGE improvement in the track and operations .
That's just my long distant view ...I wish Scott the best and hope you locals will support him .
As a DDS member .....we thank you all for the hospitality and the opportunity to race there  :th

Offline Scott Wood

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »
I guess I need to say this again, Scott runs the Facebook page, I "Rob Creasy" run the midsouthracers page, Scott sends me or I copy & paste from there to here !! NO ONE IS GETTING AWAY FROM BRACKET RACING!! Yes we change it up a bit for the index racers think we've done 2  ?? But whatever it's been, yes last weekend every track around had something going on , big money, small money, big tire , small tire whatever it was for the racers at every track last weekend everyone in the world had a track to go to!!  Lets touch on the parking, I personally might race 1 race per 3 months, don't care who parks in my spot at all anytime weather I'm there are not. I was 1 of those who paid the full amount at the deadline, that being said my spot is #6 over by the  concession stand. I've got small open trailer don't need that much room & if someone comes in with a 53" trailer, I'm glad to move to help them & so my respect to outsiders!! I posted on FB other night we are all there to have fun, race, &  socialize , if you're there for any other reasons , that's your choice so let's stop with the  negativity towards the track because plain & simple it's worked better than it has in years!! Again I post everything here on midsouthracers to keep the folks that are not on FB up to date. Rob Creasy !!